When undertaken correctly, strategic planning transforms an organization. At ECG, we use our depth of experience to develop a customized planning process that will assist you in achieving the desired organizational transformation. We help you answer the following questions:
- What is our organizational vision, and how will we measure our long-term success?
- How will our market evolve, and what are the implications for our future direction?
- What are the elements of a sustainable competitive position?
- Is an affiliation or another type of strategic partnership needed to enhance our positioning?
- What level of growth should we pursue, and what are our clinical service line priorities?
- In what ways should we partner with physicians to achieve our targeted growth?
- What are our geographic market priorities?
- Are outreach/off-site development efforts needed to ensure growth?
- What quality, service, and cost performance improvements are needed?
- What are the financial and resource implications of our strategies?
We tailor our planning process to best meet the needs of your organization. However, our approach consistently incorporates the following elements:
- A primary focus on growing volumes and improving financial results.
- Lessons learned from our experiences with hospitals and physician groups in a variety of markets across all 50 states.
- Synthesis of internal and market data into meaningful findings and implications.
- Building of consensus around the complex and challenging issues facing your organization.
- Articulation of both a clear, compelling vision and practical, actionable strategies.
Working with a new leadership team, we facilitated a strategic planning process that focused on the identification and evaluation of a broad range of strategic opportunities. Consensus was developed regarding a new future vision for the hospital, and high-priority initiatives were delineated. This strategic plan assisted the hospital in defining specific clinical service growth opportunities.
Identifying the desired strategic vision and associated financial model for a community hospital. Expand Minimize
Developing a new strategic direction and associated strategies for a community hospital. Expand Minimize
With the hospital under the direction of a new CEO, we assisted the leadership committee in completing its first strategic plan in 20 years. The plan positioned the community hospital to compete more aggressively in an expanded market area, and significant increases in market share were targeted. The associated physician requirements for this growth and the financial impact of the recommended strategies were identified so as to guide implementation.
The strategic plan for this pediatric provider focused on identifying opportunities for clinical service and geographic market growth. Specific inpatient and outpatient growth initiatives were identified, as were the specific types of provider relationships that would be needed in order to achieve the targeted growth. The plan facilitated a change in the way the hospital assessed relationships with other providers.
Developing a 5-year strategic plan for a large independent practice association (IPA). Expand Minimize
This IPA was faced with a hypercompetitive market and significant strategic issues to be resolved. We assisted the IPA in clearly assessing its environment, defining a clear vision, and determining the strategies needed to achieve the vision. We then continued to work with the IPA to facilitate the implementation of the strategies.
We worked with senior leadership to establish an overall strategic direction and complete a 5-year strategic plan for this new SOM. We provided both process and technical assistance in the areas of environmental assessment, strategy formulation, and implementation planning. In addition to the overall plan, we assisted in the development of associated strategies for the faculty practice plan and for graduate medical education (GME) programs.